Monday, January 3, 2011

Stuck in a color rut?

On Wednesday nights and Friday afternoons I crochet or knit at Grandma's Spinning Wheel. The Wednesday night group is admittedly wild, rated R, and loads of fun. Friday afternoons are much more peaceful, equally fun, but is a time to talk about the kids and so forth. But both groups seem to believe I am stuck in a color rut. I'm not so sure they are right.

Most guys are stuck in color ruts: shades of black, shades of white, shades of blue, and some but not all shades of green. I like earth tones, muted shades, when it comes to bright colors only orange/purple/green (not necessarily together). The only colors I don't do are a true crayon red and never white. Black is reserved for accent. However being a redhead I do mostly work in Fall colors.

If I think about it maybe all of us are stuck in color ruts. Hanging out at a knit shop so much of the time, I can see that with most people, you can almost pick out their yarn for them once you know them well enough. Heck, we are probably in a texture rut as well.

I think that from now on I will embrace my ruts because frankly it's all about finding your bliss. If I crochet or knit with a color or texture I don't like then I don't enjoy it. Essentially enjoyment and stress reduction is what it's all about. Why else would we do it! So if you want to do everything in black cause it makes you happy, then I say just do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment